Jul 18, 2014

Imperative

Move.  I know you don't want to, but you must.  Move.  Now.  Just a small step first.  Turn your head on the pillow to take your eyes off the grubby ceiling and face the window.  You know it's there, on your left even if you have yet to see it.  But you'll do it today.  Yes, you will.  Because I'm telling you to and because you know that I won't leave you alone, no matter how much you want me to.  I'm in your head and I'm not going anywhere.  Move.

No, don't close your eyes, you can't shut me out.  The light from the window is getting stronger, turn toward it now and you'll still have a chance to see it before clouds roll in.  Now, yes, you can do it.  Don't think about it, that's been your problem all along.  Don't analyze, don't predict, don't assume what you'll see, just turn your head and face the window.

Blink.  Again.  No, don't start crying, that won't help.  It won't help at all.  Blink again and focus on the light.  Don't say it, I lied.  It's not a window, it's just a day glow simulator lamp, but look at it anyway.  Admit it, the view is better than the ceiling.  Fine, you don't have to admit it to me, but at least acknowledge to yourself, if not to me, that it was worth the effort.

Shift your gaze further to the left, look at the nightstand.  You don't know what's on it so don't argue that there's no point.  Arguing is another problem, but we'll get to it later.  Look at the nightstand.  Focus on the glass of water.  No, of course it's not real glass, but it's real water.  Reach for it.

Stop laughing, it's not impossible.  Reach for it.  Lift your hand off the blanket and reach for it.  No, I'm not going to give you a break, we've barely started and I've been so very patient with you already.  Lift your hand and reach for the glass.

Why?  So you can knock it down to the floor, of course.  Imagine it.  Imagine your hand doing it.  Imagine the feel of your fingers against the plastic, the slight resistance you'll feel when you start pushing it off the surface.  Use the anger you feel at being fooled into thinking it's glass.  You're angry now that you know it's just warmish plastic instead of cool glass, aren't you?  Don't lie to me, I know you are; your nostrils are flaring.  Let that anger pulse toward your fingertips as you shove the glass that isn't away from you.  Imagine the sound it'll make bouncing off the linoleum tiles, maybe even cracking if you push it hard enough.

There now, that wasn't too hard, was it?  Don't answer that.  And now we wait...

No comments: