Dec 27, 2007

One more...

Since I'm on a kick of revising my older sketches and writings, here is another one. This one is a combination of two sketches I've written on the same topic. It's a struggle not to edit it too much, to add more details, more descriptions, but I think I like it as it is right now. Just enough...

Enjoy and of course, do comment.


Just Friends

The office is eerily silent. I glance at the clock on my screen. The tiny digits are mocking me, changing with agonizing slowness. Every passing minute lingers, lengthening the wait. It’s too early, you won't be in for at least another hour.

I sigh and try to concentrate, but my thoughts refuse to cooperate. They want no part of the everyday drudgery, not when they can torment me with images of you. My fingers are tapping a nervous dance on the keyboard, the clicking sound at once irritating and comforting. Hands running through short black curls, teeth worrying the lower lip, smudging the lipstick so carefully applied just minutes ago. Waiting, waiting… How much longer now?

Concentrate, I tell myself sternly, let it go. But I can’t… no, I don’t want to. I sigh again, this time with pleasure as the tension of resistance leaves me and I give in to temptation, closing my eyes and letting images of you flood the dark screen behind my eyelids.

Your shy smile, so sweetly fraught with uncertainty before we became friends. Your bright laughter, cascading over words as the two of us giggle over morning coffee, indulging in a bit of girly gossip. The compassion in your eyes the day you came upon me upset and trying to hold back tears. The myriad of expressions I've imagined on your face as we've chatted online.

I shift in my chair, restless. My face feels warm, I know I'm blushing. Damn it… I've never been good at waiting.

Suddenly the front door whines and I freeze. A quick tap of heels along the hall and you're standing before me. My heart is pounding, breath catching in my throat, hands clammy and trembling. You are here...

"Good morning, Alex," my name sounds so sweet falling from you lips. "You're early today! Couldn't sleep? Bad dreams?"

No, Lea... Restless dreams... Dreams of you. But of course I don't say that. Instead, I swallow and grin,

"Nah, you know I'm an early bird when I'm up in the uncivilized North Country. I'll sleep when I get back home."

I'm baiting you, drawing forth the reaction I'm sure is about to follow - the delightful little gasp of feigned outrage, the passionate defense of your new home, the sparkle in your eyes. I'm not disappointed. Your voice quivers with laughter and mock indignation,

"Uncivilized! You're in Montreal, it doesn't get much more civilized than that."

And I can't help it, I burst out laughing. Joy at your early arrival is bubbling like a hot geyser inside me, drowning the shyness I normally struggle with. It will be all right now. You are here.

2 comments:

J said...

As usual, I love it. Even knowing the original works, I enjoy reading your revisions & udates.

Septimus said...

In addition to cutting back on adverbs, you may also want to consider avoiding present participles: fingers are tapping a nervous dance => fingers tap a nervous dance; joy is bubbling => joy bubbles