Dec 27, 2012

Regrets of 2012

This morning I heard an advertisement on the radio for an upcoming daytime program.  The topic was "Your biggest regret of 2012".  I wasn't planning on listening to the program, but the topic stayed with me and as the day went on, I realized that the question percolated in the back of my mind.  A little chime would go off once in a while, What Do You Regret

Nothing.  I regret nothing.

I don't think in terms of regrets.  Left to my own devices, I tend to focus on the present and on how it affects the future.  Regrets are a waste of time, although I will agree that there's something to be said for understanding where you went wrong so as not to go down the same path again.  That's not quite the same as regret. 

By definition (yes, I did actually look it up), to regret is to feel sorry about something that happened; to wish that something hadn't happened and another thing happened instead.  Now what use is that?  To me, regret is akin to spinning in place.  It's the proverbial hue and cry over spilt milk.

"I regret the inconvenience..."  Did you cause the inconvenience?  Yes?  Then apologize straight out.  Don't use 'regret' as a cop out.  I'm sort of sorry I screwed this up for you, but I don't have the guts to come straight out and apologize for it so I'll just throw a crumb of regret your way and walk away feeling good about myself.

"I regret all the various things that are going wrong in my life..."  Did you have a hand in them going wrong?  Did you have a chance to get them right?  If you did, then don't regret it, just do it better or differently next time.  If you didn't, then what are you regretting? 

Regret is throwing up your hands and giving up control.  It's saying, I'm not going to take any action to fix or change things.  It's admitting defeat.

Perhaps that's why I don't have much use or respect for regret.

No comments: